Monday, December 9, 2013

Giving Thanks

A little late on the post, but I finally got a chance to import some pics using our computer. We spent Thanksgiving this year with Melissa, Jeff, CeCe and James at their house and it was honestly one of the most fun holidays that I can remember in a long time.  I have this love/hate thing with the holidays, usually where I have these really high expectations that are hard to meet, and for a variety of reasons come away let down on the back end.  With Hunt being in London the whole week before Thanksgiving this year, there was just really no practical way to do anything but a super low key day and it happened to work out wonderfully that we could do it at Melissa's house.  We spent the entire day totally relaxed and casual.. Harper originally in pj's, which then peeled down into just a shirt/diaper by the afternoon, and we literally just hung out with the kids running around playing, watching the parade, and eating.  It was no stress, no fuss, and just so incredibly pleasant.  I grew up with Thanksgiving being definitely a more formal production, and I have to say that after doing one in slippers we may very well have set the new yearly tradition for the Mayo household!


Here is my attempt at food photography :-)  I made these little apricots with blue cheese and hazelnuts.. super simple recipe and I thought I was just going to throw them together- what a joke!  Trying to spread onto a tiny apricot, add the herbs, etc was super cumbersome. In retrospect it would have been easier to put the cheese mixture into a bag and piped it onto the apricot, but still we're talking professional grade hassles here. They turned out beautiful and very really good, but such a pain in the ass. Note to self- don't do this to yourself again!








When Melissa said "casual", we went full pj's.  I originally showed up in clothes and actually went home and put on lounge wear because I felt over dressed.

I'm so obsessed with this robe

The girls having breakfast.. the first of their three meals together that day

I thought it might be fun to have a holiday "craft" to do with the kids.. CeCe and James definitely get into doing fun things.  James was obsessed with eating the icing and the green died everything that it touched.  Harper's and my tree was pretty funny in completion with gobs of icing and some randomly placed candies.














Should Melissa's bloody mary have it's own post?  I am not a big drinker, but I am totally obsessed with these things, and actually get random cravings for them.. Like right now.  The secret is Zing Zangs mix and using some pickle juice.  Yummmm.



Dinner time! This pic gives the illusion that the kids actually ate their dinner, which in fact did not happen at all


No shirt, no pants, no problem. You know you are casual when this is what your dinner guests look like


The aftermath. Not going to lie- was super glad that wasn't my kitchen this year.

No naps caught up with the little guys after dinner.